Is it possible to get rid of stretch marks through exfoliation? Yes, it is. For someone with stretch marks, you most likely wish they were never there. In this post, we'll be giving you tips you can apply in getting rid of your stretch marks.
There are different methods of exfoliating stretch marks. You can exfoliate it using a brush, exfoliating soap, loofah, or applying a chemical exfoliant lotion and microdermabrasion treatment.
Stretch marks occur because of excessive stretching during pregnancy and weight gain. Deep red, purple, and white markings can appear on the arms, legs, stomach, back, and thighs. Most times, your skin needs time to regenerate collagen and fade stretch marks.
But you can speed it up by exfoliation. Pick one exfoliating method in this article and avoid multiple treatments to avoid worsening it.
Causes of Stretch Marks
The following are some of the causes of stretch marks:
- Stretching of the skin during pregnancy or weight gain.
- Genetics factor
- The level of your hormone cortisol. The cortisol hormone releases the adrenal glands that weaken elastic fibers in the skin's layer
Types of Stretch Marks
- The Striae atrophica which are the very common stretch marks we all know
- Striae distensae are the stretch marks during puberty and changes in body formation.
- Striae gravidarum stretch marks happen during pregnancy. As the child is growing, the tummy skin is stretching.
- Vergetures are the long stretch marks that look exactly like a whip's lashings.
How To Exfoliate Stretch Marks
1. Use An Exfoliating Soap
One of the great benefits of using an exfoliating soap is it's ability to target the problem at hand directly instantly sloughing off dead skin cells which typically inhibit the effectiveness of topical creams and moisturizers.
After sloughing off dead skin cells follow up with a good moisturizing lotion that is deeply hydrating softening and smoothening such as Elite Naturals Brightening Milk
2. Use An Exfoliating Scrub
This can be done during a shower. You would need to scrub or scrape dead skin cells off with a gentle pumice bead, grains, or similar facial scrub.
Exfoliate gently on and around your stretch marks in a circular motion and rinse properly afterward.
The thing with body scrubs and other similar topical treatments is that they target the problem at hand. Whilst some body scrubs might irritate the skin, they also remove dead surface skin cells.
They penetrate deep within the skin and smooth out unsightly bulges.
3. Wash with Loofah
You can gently exfoliate the skin with certain scrub materials like a loofah. Washing with a loofah in the shower with your regular soap or body wash would help remove the top layer of skin.
Follow it up with a moisturizer after you dry your body. Use moisturizers that contain collagen and elastin to help tighten and strengthen your skin and reduce the stretch marks on your body.
4. Brush The Skin Daily Using A Natural Bristle
Use a natural bristle brush to brush your skin daily to improve your skin's texture and lessen the emergence of new stretch marks.
Make sure the brush is soft and natural, and start at your feet each time you want to exfoliate or before your shower. Then from your feet, upwardly over each area of the affected parts.
We recommend you use firm strokes to stimulate blood flow to the top of your skin and rinse off dead skin at the surface.
5. Get A Microdermabrasion Treatment
If you choose the microdermabrasion treatment, you can have it at a spa or dermatologist's ward. This method of treatment applies air pressure to jet powdered crystals against your skin.
The crystals work by exfoliating off the entire top skin surface. Afterward, skins grow to replace the old ones, which will now be tighter and more elastic. This in turn makes your stretch marks appear lighter and smaller.
READ: Is Toner Supposed to Burn?
How Exfoliation of Stretch Marks Works
Exfoliating stretch marks works in a way that:
- It buffs or sloughs away the dry skin surface. This shows that your stretch mark oil moisturizer can absorb more deeply and effectively
- It can trigger and rebuild collagen and elastin. This makes the skin tighter, resilient, and stronger
- It allows cellular turnover, which helps the skin look healthier and smoother
How to Apply an Exfoliant Soap on Stretch Marks
- You can apply it in the shower on wet skin.
- Gently rub it into the affected part in a circular motion.
- Notice the joint parts and other sensitive parts of the body like the bum, hips, thighs, and lower back that have stretch marks and apply to those areas carefully.
- Rinse away the top layer of the skin and continue to massage your skin gently.
- Once the skin is dry, apply your lotion to seal and achieve the best result.
- Apply your lotion daily and commit to exfoliating your stretch marks to yield effective results as you stick to your routine.
Frequently Asked Questions on Exfoliating Stretch Marks
Is it a good practice to exfoliate stretch marks?
It is good to exfoliate stretch marks because it is the basic method to treat stretch marks faster.
It helps remove excess dead skin from your body allowing new skin to grow. Exfoliating stretch marks alongside other treatments can enhance your results faster.
How often should I exfoliate my stretch marks?
To achieve the best results, stick to your exfoliating routine . Twice a week is usually recommended.
Can you exfoliate stretch marks during pregnancy?
Yes, you can exfoliate during pregnancy. Elite Naturals exfoliating soap is safe to use even during pregnancy. Exfoliation may prevent the appearance of stretchmarks during pregnancy.
Does exfoliating worsen stretch marks in any way?
Exfoliating stretch marks sloughs away old, worn-out and dead skin cells so your body can replace new ones. It makes your stretch marks look less visible.
Stretching skin is a normal process of development that happens in both babies and adults. So the best and fastest way to deal with this stretching is by exfoliating it.
Exfoliating stretch marks is a very effective way of getting rid of them. There are different methods you can apply as mentioned in this post. These methods include:
- Use of an exfoliating soap
- Use of an exfoliating scrub
- Washing with Loofah
- Brushing the skin daily using a natural bristle
- Getting a microdermabrasion treatment
What ever method you desire to go with, it's important to note that stretch mark exfoliation is perfectly normal, and is a really good way to keep your skin glowing.