Exfoliating your vagina is one of the best ways to keep your vagina healthy. It removes the dead skin that builds up over time, which can lead to infections and discomfort.
Exfoliating also improves your skin's ability to absorb products, which means you can use more of them in less time.
But just to clarify, exfoliating the vagina is not really talking about the actual vagina, but the surrounding skin - which includes the vagina suburb or pubic hair area or bikini area. Since all these places are part and within the vagina, I need to include it in the discussion and it needs exfoliation.
There are several ways to exfoliate your vagina which are using a product specifically made for this purpose and mildly abrasive products like sugar scrubs and others.
What is Vagina Exfoliation?
Vagina exfoliation is technically scrubbing the vagina areas or the vulva to remove dead skin cells, not the vagina itself because the vagina is the internal canal.
This process focuses on the bikini line, outer labia, pubic area or mound. That is, the V-shaped area where pubic hair grows.
Exfoliation itself is the method of removing dead skin cells from the surface of the skin to produce a new layer of skin.
Just as you can exfoliate your face, you can also exfoliate your vagina areas and vulva. Some doctors call it vulva facial. This is usually less expensive and easy to do.
Naturally, your skin and the vagina area shed old skin cells, but may not totally eliminate all the dead cells. The remnants of the dead skin cell may clog hair follicles and cause ingrown hairs and other skin infections.
Exfoliating the vagina area or vulva once a week does not only reduce risks of hair follicle infection, inflammation, and shave bumps. It also leaves the skin newer and glowing for a while.
There are two types of skin and vagina area exfoliation. They are the mechanical exfoliation and the chemical exfoliation.
The mechanical vagina exfoliation process involves using a brush, sponge, or towel to scrub the skin, ground coffee, sugar, and salt to remove dead skin cells.
Chemical vagina exfoliation is a process of using any product such as this which is one of the best soap for hyperpigmentation. It contains exfoliants to scrub the vagina areas and eliminate dead cells on the skin surface. You can choose any of the two methods as your skin type requires.
How to Exfoliate Your Vagina
There have been some theories and experiments different people have come up with on how to exfoliate your Vagina but you need to do what works for you or get advice from bikini experts and doctors. However, here's a general guide you can use.
- Wet the skin first with warm water
- Exfoliate the skin around your vagina. That is, your vulva with a product that works for you.
- Exfoliate the crease of your inner thigh smoothly and gently.
- Go further to also touch the entire area on which hair grows but please do not exfoliate your inner labia.
- Consider using a mild scrub, products or loofah. Use your scrubbing tool or exfoliating product to gently move your hand and scrub along your bikini line in a small circular motion. This helps to get rid of dead skin cells that may be clogging around that area. Be sure to cover the entire surface like the vagina suburb or pubic hair area or bikini area.
- Allow the exfoliant on your skin for up to 2 or 3 minutes. Maintain a time that works for you.
- Afterwards, rinse your vagina with warm water and pat it dry.
- Apply a moisturizer to the area
When is Vagina Exfoliation Done?
Vagina Exfoliation is performed in conjunction or;
- Alongside removal of hairs
- After hair removal processes like sugaring, lasering, shaving, or waxing. Exfoliating your vulva alongside hair removal helps remove totally the dead skin cells which may clog your pores and cause ingrown hairs. It also grants the ease of removal of the hair by raising the hairs.
What To Use To Exfoliate Your Vagina?
Some of the popular exfoliators are:
- An exfoliating product such as this hyperpigmentation soap with exfoliants
- Salicylic acid
- Glycolic acid
- Benzoyl peroxide cream for mostly people with ingrown hairs. There are other exfoliators people use but these products will help keep your hair follicles open, so your hairs don’t get trapped again. Speak with your doctor to get the one that works for you.
Reasons for Vagina Exfoliation
- To reduce ingrown hairs
- To get rid of dead skin cells
- To eliminate clogged pores
- To eliminate Acne
- To eliminate dry skin, or irritation in the vulva area
Advantages of Vagina Exfoliation
- Vagina Exfoliation helps to maintain healthy and hydrated skin in the vaginal area.
- Helps in removal of dead skin cells
- Reduces the risk of ingrown hairs around your pubic area
- It helps to improve proper blood circulation around the pubic area
- It helps to shed of dead skin and bring new and brighter skin
- It opens the pores and allows the moisturizer applied to work effectively.
READ: Is Toner Supposed to Burn?
Other Vagina Care Methods Similar To Exfoliation
There are Several other processes that are similar to vagina exfoliation. They include:
- Red light therapy to remove bacteria
- Skin-brightening treatments to lessen discoloration and hyperpigmentation
These processes can be relatively more expensive than exfoliation which is easier and can be done by you within a few minutes.
How to Care For Your Pubic Hair
As the vulva or vagina area are prone to changes, bumps and lumps, using a gentle exfoliator on the vulva or the vagina area is better. Not on the vagina. You can do it in between waxing or shaving.
It's okay to do this once a week. If you usually have ingrown hair, you can do it twice to three times per week.
Frequently Asked Questions on Exfoliating the Vagina
How do you make your vagina smell good?
To make your vagina smell good and eliminate some odours, try to:
- Exfoliate the area once or twice a week.
- Bathe the area between your legs properly and dry all moist around that area
- Avoid only interior deodorizing products, use only the exterior ones.
- Change your underwear as often as twice a day.
- Go for a pH product
How do I exfoliate my pubic area?
To exfoliate your pubic area:
- Make use of Elite Naturals exfoliating soap
- You can also use a washcloth.
- What exfoliation does around the pubic area is to remove any dead skin and allow you to shave off properly. Do not use harsh exfoliants so as not to harm your pubic area.
How to exfoliate vagina before waxing
The best way to exfoliate vagina before waxing is usually a day or two ahead of time. To start:
- Gently remove dry skin with an exfoliant.
- Moisturize generously.
- Then wax because it will help give the wax a good grip on your hair precisely, and not your skin area.
Exfoliation done on vagina area the right way, at the right time, and with the right product, will help you eliminate dead skin cells and particles.
In the course of exfoliating your vagina, we advise that you ensure that the product you use is right for you to avoid issues and complications.